Welcome to Sanative Recovery and Wellness, where we focus on an important topic often overlooked in addiction discussions—the role of trauma. Our trauma therapy program recognizes the deep-seated connection between trauma and addiction. We believe that understanding this connection is crucial to promoting healing and recovery. Contact our experienced team at 888.663.3844 to find out how we can help you or a loved one overcome the effects of trauma and ultimately lead a healthier, addiction-free life.
What Is Trauma?
Trauma is an emotional response to a deeply distressing or disturbing event that can severely affect the mind, body, spirit, and emotions. Trauma is a deeply painful or worrisome experience that overwhelms an individual’s coping ability. It can stem from a single event, prolonged periods of stress, or recurring events such as physical or emotional abuse.
The effects of trauma can be debilitating, leading to mental health conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and addiction.
What Is Addiction?
Addiction is a chronic disease characterized by compulsive substance use despite harmful consequences. It involves changes in the brain’s reward system, leading to intense cravings and compulsion to use drugs or alcohol. This makes it incredibly difficult for individuals struggling with addiction to quit independently.
While addiction rehab programs have only recently recognized the connection between trauma and addiction, research shows that trauma is a significant risk factor for substance abuse. Those who have experienced traumatic events are more likely to develop an addiction as a form of self-medication.
What Is the Connection Between Trauma and Addiction?
Traumatic events significantly impact our lives and can be the underlying cause of substance abuse or other addictive behaviors. Trauma and addiction are often intertwined. Individuals dealing with the effects of trauma may turn to substances as a coping mechanism, seeking relief from their pain and distress. This can ultimately lead to addiction, creating a vicious cycle that further exacerbates the individual’s trauma symptoms.
Supporting someone struggling with trauma and addiction can be challenging but not impossible. Here are a few strategies to keep in mind:
- Encourage them to seek professional help – Addiction and trauma are complex issues that require expert intervention.
- Be patient and understanding – Recovery takes time, and every person’s journey is unique.
- Be supportive – Show empathy and offer reassurance that they are not alone in their struggle.
At Sanative Recovery and Wellness, we provide comprehensive, trauma-informed care designed to address the root causes of addiction.
What to Expect from Trauma-Informed Care and Addiction Treatment at Sanative Recovery and Wellness
Our approach at Sanative Recovery and Wellness in Ohio includes the following:
- Individual therapy – Our therapists utilize evidence-based treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) to help patients process their trauma and develop healthy coping mechanisms.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) – In conjunction with therapy, MAT can help manage withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings.
- Group therapy – Patients can share experiences and learn from others facing similar challenges.
- Aftercare program – We provide ongoing support to help our patients maintain their recovery long after they leave our facility.
Understanding the link between trauma and addiction is vital to effective treatment and lasting recovery. At Sanative Recovery and Wellness, we’re here to help you navigate this journey every step of the way.
Find a Trauma Therapy Program in Cincinnati, Ohio, at Sanative Recovery and Wellness
When you’re ready to take the first step toward healing, Sanative Recovery and Wellness is here for you. We offer a comprehensive trauma therapy program in Cincinnati to help individuals struggling with addiction and co-occurring mental health conditions reclaim their lives. Contact our experienced team today at 888.663.3844 to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment.