Are you concerned that either you or someone you know in the Buckeye State may be struggling with alcohol abuse? Recognizing the signs of alcohol abuse is the first step in seeking help and making a positive change. Call 888.663.3844 to speak with someone from our knowledgeable and experienced Sanative Recovery and Wellness team about the effects of alcohol abuse, alcohol use disorder (AUD), and our alcohol addiction treatment program in Ohio. This information can be valuable in helping individuals break free from the grip of alcoholism and embrace a healthier lifestyle.
What Is Alcohol Abuse?
Alcohol abuse is a severe problem characterized by recurrent, excessive alcohol consumption despite the adverse effects it can have on an individual’s personal and professional life. This involves drinking to the point where it:
- Disrupts normal daily activities
- Leads to risky behavior
- Harms relationships
Alcohol abuse can also escalate into alcohol use disorder, where an individual becomes physically dependent on alcohol and experiences severe withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of alcohol consumption.
What Are the Signs of Alcohol Abuse?
It is essential to recognize the common signs of alcohol abuse, as these may indicate that a drinking problem is becoming severe. These signs may include:
- Drinking more than intended or for more extended periods than intended
- Failed attempts at cutting back on alcohol consumption
- Using alcohol to cope with stress or difficult emotions
- Neglecting responsibilities or hobbies due to alcohol use
- Struggling with work, school, or family due to alcohol-related issues
- Experiencing blackouts or memory loss from drinking
- Feeling guilty or ashamed of one’s drinking habits
However, the primary sign of alcohol abuse is the development of a dependence on the legal substance. At this point, addiction or alcohol use disorder becomes a problem.
What Is Alcohol Use Disorder?
Alcohol use disorder is a diagnosable medical condition characterized by the inability to stop or control alcohol use despite its negative consequences. Individuals with AUD may experience the following:
- Persistent cravings for alcohol
- Physical dependence on alcohol
- Withdrawal symptoms when they try to stop drinking
AUD can range from mild to severe, and professional help through treatment programs, therapy, and support groups may be necessary for overcoming this challenging disorder.
What Are the Effects of Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction can have severe short-term and long-term effects on an individual’s physical and mental health. These may include:
- Liver damage and diseases
- Increased risk of various cancers
- Weakening of the immune system
- Damage to the brain, leading to cognitive and memory problems
- Increased risk of accidents, injuries, and violence
- Mental health issues, such as anxiety and depression
- Strained or broken relationships with loved ones
However, the most dangerous effect of alcohol addiction is alcohol poisoning, which can be fatal if left untreated. Because alcohol use disorder can lead to fatalities, seeking professional help immediately is vital once addiction is discovered.
Benefits of Undergoing Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Alcohol addiction treatment can help individuals regain control over their lives and guide them toward a healthier, sober future. Some benefits of undergoing treatment are:
- Medical support during withdrawal and detoxification, ensuring safety and comfort
- Professional therapy to address underlying issues contributing to addiction
- Tools to build healthier coping mechanisms and strategies
- Education on the dangers of alcohol abuse and how to prevent relapse
- Support from peers in recovery, fostering a sense of camaraderie and shared experience
For more people struggling with alcohol use disorder, the primary benefits are saving their lives and repairing damaged relationships with their loved ones and professional contacts.
Find Alcohol Addiction Treatment in Cincinnati, Ohio, at Sanative Recovery and Wellness
Recognizing the signs of alcohol abuse is crucial in determining if you or someone you know needs help overcoming an addiction. Alcohol abuse can have severe consequences on an individual’s physical and mental health and relationships with loved ones. Contact Sanative Recovery and Wellness today at 888.663.3844 to learn more about the dangerous effects of alcohol use disorder and our alcohol addiction treatment program in Ohio.